CAPITAL OF SAINT ANTONIO

CAPITAL OF SAINT ANTONIO

Capital with a statue, carved in soft stone of Vicenza in the eighteenth century, in which it is represented, as in the oldest iconography, the patron saint of Padua holding in his hands, not the baby Jesus, but only the lily and the book, traditional attribute of the preacher Holy. The statue was moved to the end of Via S. Antonio in the twenties of the twentieth century, after being removed from the old church of Tencarola, which was demolished to make way for the current; there was situated on one of the two minor altars (the other was dedicated to the Virgin Mary), raised a few steps from the floor of the nave and placed on either side of the presbytery and facing the assembly.

The old papers remind that the two altars, for a long time, at least since the second half of the sixteenth century and until 1767, were made of wood and probably housed the other saints, so that instead of St. Antonio until the early nineteenth century there was the image of St. Benedetto, the patron saint of the Praglia's monastery. Being the universal saint of Padua exponent of Franciscan “competition” managed to get into the Tencarola's church only after the suppression of Praglia. Replaced by a new St. Antonio in colored plaster, still visible in the church, the stone statue was placed at the end of the homonymous street and supported by the devotion of some families as reminds the memorial plaque on the basis of the capital: “IN HONOR OF ANTHONY/FAMILIES/PRETTO-FERRAZZONI/BENVOLUTI-RINALDI/BUILT 1923 YEAR/YEAR 1974RECONSTRUCTED”.

Orte des Glaubens
via Sant'Antonio
35030   Selvazzano Dentro   (PD)