As the abbey of Santa Giustina, to which was added in the fifteenth century, the Praglia Abbey has enjoyed various events.
Founded in the eleventh century, it was built in fief by Emperor Frederick II in the thirteenth century. Subsequently independent, then in, and finally added to Santa Giustina until 1810 when Napoleon suppressed.
Restored and again suppressed during the nineteeth century, finally it returned to the Subiaco Benedectines in 1904.
The abbey includes a vast complex, consisting of the largest church rebuilt in the late 1500s to a design by Tullio Lombardo, of the monastery, one of the most vital and complete of its kind in Italy, home of cultural associations, of a rich and ancient library and a famous restoration book center.
In the community, it works well as a guesthouse, ofering hospitality to groups and individuals who wish to get closer to the spiritual life of the order.
@Photo credits: Archivio storico Provincia di Padova/"Abbazia di Praglia con girasoli" /L.Tomasin