• IT
  • EN
  • FR
  • DE

Church of S.Francesco

Church of S.Francesco

It is a single aisle building, with a transept, a large presbytery and a choir, its structure is not homogeneous, owing to the 16th-century reconstruction of the original Franciscan church of 1420 (one nave with side chapels), which had been built by Baldo dei Bonafari for the friars of the nearby convent and Hospital.
Only the nave of the former building is still there, while the remaining structure was added by Lorenzo da Bologna at the beginning of the 16th century, as commissioned by the Zabarella family.
From the 16th century date as well the big Ascension altarpiece by Paolo Veronese (above the main portal, restored by Pietro Damini in 1625), and the frescoes by Girolamo dal Santo in the second chapel on the right.
In the two arms of the transept you can see the two parts of the Roccabonella monument, a beautiful sculpture by Bartolomeo Bellano (1498) with additions by Andrea Briosco.

Places of Faith
Church of S.Francesco
via S.Francesco
Padova   (PD)  
Tel: 049 656092- 049 8750710


Bus: 
TRAM, Diretto Piazze, 3, 8, 12, 18, A/M/T
Opening time in Winter: 
7-12 e 16-19.30
Opening time in Summer: 
6.30-12 e 17-20
Remarks: 
Visite guidate su richiesta