The nucleus of the Museum of Este is owed to Vincenzo Fracanzani, magistrate of Este, who in 1834 decided to institute a collection initially called Civic Lapidary Museum. This location proved to be inadequate and the State instituted the National Museum (decree of April, 1st 1887) and transferred it to Palazzo Mocenigo. Today the seat contains the most representative remains of the ancient Veneti's civilization, lived in this region during the entire first millennium b.C. The copiuos material discovered around the human settlement of Costa Lake near Arquà Petrarca is particularly interesting. The most valuable object here is the bronze grave vase “Benvenuti”, dating back to approximately 600BC; it is a vase in beaten and chiselled bronze featuring zoomorphic figures and scenes from daily life. Documentation of the Romanization of the territory is exhibited too through the collection of archaeological, epigraphic and linguistic documents. In addition to the famous Madonna con Bambino painted by Cima da Conegliano for the Church of Santa Maria delle Consolazioni, a wide selection of ceramics produced in this region from the thirteenth to the nineteenth century are exhibited too.