The palace commissioning is due to Vitaliano Mussato and his son Galeazzo. The latter completed the construction of the building. After the Alvise Mussato's death, last heir who lived in the palace, the building with all its interior furnishings were purchased by the City of Padua in 1853. He is currantly the headquartes of the Secondary School “Francesco Petrarca”.
The main façade of the palace, overlooking Via Concariola, is divided into three tiers corresponding to the three floors inside. It presents relief elements consist of lintels rusticated in the portals and in the upper part of the windows at the first and second order. Inside the ballroom through in a loop around the building, from external to internal main façade, the latter overlooking the courtyard. In the ballroom, with even ancient gallery that houses an interesting fresco. Within a large mixed-line frame on the ceiling there opens a scene interpreted as Fortitude Allegory, Justice and Temperance attributed to the eighteenth-century painter Fabio Canal. The pictorial cycle painted in the three rooms along the inside wing overlooking the courtyard has been recognized as a work of the Venetian artists, Tiepolo, Francesco Zugno (1760 approx), which utilized probably the collaboration of Francesco Zanchi, active decorator also in Villa Widman Rezzonico Foscari in Mira. Among the rooms on the main floor are there characterized the living, now Bureau, called “Frieze Hall or Paris Judgement Hall”, with a painted beamed ceiling and the “Alcove Room”, now the office of Secretary. In the room you can still see the frames of different sizes, with elegant decorative stucco, which were placed the paintings of paintings Mussato merged, after the sale of the building, in the civic museum collections.