Parish Church of St. Bartholomew

Parish Church of St. Bartholomew

The church, built by the architect G. Piantella, inaugurated in 1960 (dedicated in 1985), is a reinforced concrete construction and bricks on a rectangular plan, with a polygonal apse of semicircular base and side niches. The light filters through 4 large windows and through more than 26 colorful Marian and Christological images of Old and New Testament. The large windows, designed by Luciano Bartoli, narrate scenes from the Old Testament and the life of the patron Saint Bartholomew (these figures framed by cartouche of the apostles bearing on each one steps of the Creed) on the left the Holy under the fig tree and the meeting with Christ;

On the right the  preaching in Asia and the martyrdom. The presbytery, side altars, the confessional and the winter chapel are works of the years 1980-1985 projected by Master G. Mengato. Many furnishings have been instead recovered or relocated after the partial demolition of the church of the 60 statues of St. Anthony and the Virgin Mary, pictures of the Cross, holy water and oil paintings, sculptures of the ambo and altar frontal red marble Verona by Prof. Andreose, and Christ in wood and in natural size of Conrad Sennoner. In the sacristy there is a Carrara marble tombstone with the names of the priests succeeded as head of the church since 1188. Valuable paintings on the wall above the entrance: the former altarpiece depicting the martyrdom of St. Bartholomew of dubious attribution ( Padovanino said Padovanino, 1588-1648, or an anonymous painter of the first 800) is framed by four paintings of the Venetian school of the seventeenth century depicting: Esau, whom for a dish of pottage renunciated to his primogeniture in favor of his brother Jacob; Blind Isaac blessed Jacob, who, with the help of his mother Rebecca, pretending to be Esau; The dying Jacob blesses his grandchildren Efrain and Manasseh the sons of Joseph; Joseph Jew in prison explaining the dreams of Pharaoh.

Places of Faith
Via Padova (next to number 2)
35030   Selvazzano Dentro   (PD)  


Area: 
Tencarola