The church was begun in 1582 and designed by Vincenzo Scamozzi and completed in 1586. The façade that follows the pattern of the triumphal arch, it is marked by composite pillars that support the entablature and attic. Inside, the square, rounded corners with triple chapels, is part of the planimetric experiments by Scamozzi for the design of temples and villas. At the sixteenth original decoration, other decorative elements were added in the course of the years. Of particular note are works by Pietro Damini, Palma il Giovane and Alessandro Maganza and fresco decorations by the Parisian Vernansal.