This is a museum of the Province of Padua.
Villa Beatrice owes its name to the Blessed Beatrice d'Este, who lived here between 1221 and 1226.
On the place of the villa stood then a small monastery, previously inhabited by heremits.
Beatrice descended by the illustrious house of Estensi, which , before moving to Ferrara, had lordship of Este and the Padua area. Beatrice took vows initially in the small Santa Margherita di Salarola monastery, between Monte Castello and Monte Cero: after about half a year, in 1221, she moved on Gemola readjusting the remains of a primitive abandoned convent. Here she lived together with her companions with great religious fervor, until the tubercolosis led to her death in 1226.
The fame of her holiness quickly spread through the region and the monastery was the subject, throughout the thirteenth century, of generous donations and bequests. In 1576 the nuns of the Gemola monastery were transferred to Padua and the Beatrice remains were moved to the Santa Sofia Church and later in the Cathedral of Este. After a period of neglect, in 1657 the convent turns out to be owned by a Venetian merchant. At that time, there was the transformation of the monastery in villa, accommodation after no more changed, except for the ancient burial ground, most upset at the beginning of this century, following the construction of the barn. The monument restoration, sponsored by Public Bodies in the seventies and eighties, was preceded by careful research that allow today to glimpse inside the villa traces of the ancient monastery. Currently some rooms on the ground floor of the villa have been allocated to the provincial museum naturalist section. Here, there are defined vegetation and wildlife aspects of the Hills area and surrounding plains with flora and fauna descriptions, typical of the Euganean Hills.