AREA ARCHEOLOGICA SANTA MARIA DI QUARTA

AREA ARCHEOLOGICA SANTA MARIA DI QUARTA

The walls of the old Santa Maria di Quarta church (9th century) stand alone and consosts only of part of the hexagonal apse; this is one of the oldest archaeological sites to have ever been studied.

We are currently waiting for an excavation to be carried out, which will answer a number of questions that have risen from findings of inscribed stones and bricks, pots and amphorae dating back to the 1st century A.D., but we are convinced that this site is of great historical importance. The large estate of Quarto, with its Church dedicated to St. Mary, is mentioned in a parchment from Brescia dated 17th November 878, and must have incorporeted a large part of the current territory of Selvazzano Fuori, on the left bank of the Bacchiglione river. Much later, a small cenoby of the priory of Santa Maria di Quarta is mentioned as the beneficiary of 60 coins in Leonardo da Selvazzano's last will and testament, dated 8th December, 1220. Built in the second decade of the 13th century and under the bishop's authority, the cenoby entered the Ordo Sancti Bendicti de Padua, which was led by the priorate of St. Benedetto di Padova, Giordano Forzaté. During the 14th century, wars,  riots, plagues and floods along the Bacchiglione River led to the abandonment of the religious building and it was left to decay.

In 1513 the area and the lands became part of the St. Giorgio di Paodva monastery, after having been a “commendam” of the Ventian Malipiero family and later of Timoteo Mussato. Paduan nuns managed the estate up until 1806. A community developed around the monastery during the 13th and 14th centuries, giving life to the rural municipality of Quarta, which ceased to exist in 1810 after the reorganization of the territory in the Veneto region.

@Photo credits: Archivio Comune di Selvazzano Dentro

Lieux de la Foi
Via Vignale (presso civico 12)
35030   Selvazzano Dentro   (PD)