The villa, designed by Andrea Palladio, was commissioned by the Venetian nobleman Francesco Pisani and work started in 1552. Due to its proximity to the city centre, it is more a city residence than one of the patrician residences typical of the Venetian countryside. The square building consists of a ground floor (raised by a few steps), a noble floor and an accessible loft. The entrance opens dirrectly onto the street and is flanked by a pair of Doric half-columns, surmounted by a lintel, which also divide the main facade of the upper floors into three parts; they are crowned by a gable bearing the Pisani family crest set between two winged female figures (sculptural work attributed to Alessandro Vittoria). The double row of columns is also present on the opposite façade overlooking the garden, but it is open with a porch and upper loggia.
Inside, the entrance hall has a barrel vault, while two elliptical staircases lead to the upper floor.
The villa is situated in a remarkable environment of primary urban and monumental importance, that of Montagnana,which is characterized by original fourteenth century surrounding walls and fortifications.
The old town centre has buildings dating from between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries and the urban layout still respects that of medieval Carrara/Renaissance Venice. The importance of Villa Pisani-Placco as a cultural landscape is recognised internationally, having been included in the UNESCO Cultural Site series “ The City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto”, designated in 2006. More information on the Site's characteristics and its Management Plan can be found at the following link: www.provincia.pd.it/index.php?page=siti-unesco---piani-di-gestione
Thanks to Settore Urbanistica Provincia Padova for data and photo