Province of waterways
Once upon a time there was a city where gondolas, skiffs, barges and boats of various kinds skimmed silently down the inner canals, transporting persons and goods along the waterways, passing a continual procession of bridges and splendid mansions. This city with delightful canals running through it was not Venice, but Padova. Through this navigable canal network, today the city rediscovers the artistic, historic and natural treasures of the surrounding area.
Preferred by Casanova, Galileo, Byron and D'Annunzio, painted by Canaletto and Tiepolo, described by Goethe and Goldoni, the Brenta Riviera hosted the French and Russian Royal Families, Napoleon, the Hapsburg, the Savoy stayed there. Eminent architects, such as Palladio, Scamozzi, Frigimelica and Preti designed summer residences for the Venetian nobles and patricians.
The Battaglia Canal, completed in 1201, commences in Padova, in the ancient harbour called Bassanello, and runs straight to Battaglia Terme, carrying further on to Monselice. The Battaglia Riviera was the route preferred by the Venetian nobles and patricians to get to their Villas, built along the canal, and to their residences on Euganean Hills, like the Villa Barbarigo, its old boat moorings are still visible today.
This is a boat trip among the green banks full of vegetation and amid drained plains.