The Eremitani Church was erected between 1260 and 1306 for the Hermits friars. In the 14th Century it became one of the most important churches of Padua and was decorated by the greatest masters then active in town. During World War II bombs destroyed most of the church and its beautiful frescoes.
Its main features are the splendid vaulted wooden ceiling and the Ovetari Chapel, which contains the remains of the frescoes illustrating the Lives of St. James and St. Christopher, carried out by the great Renaissance master Andrea Mantegna, between 1448 and 1457.
The aisless interior keeps also the tombs of Ubertino and Jacopo da Carrara, Lords of Padua in the 14th c. The tombs are works by the venetian master Andriolo de' Sanctis. The side chapels are decorated with 14th Century frescoes by Guariento and Giusto de' Menabuoi. Of great interest is also the 15th C. side portal, a work by Nicolò Baroncelli with bas-relifs depicting the months.