Porte Contarine

Porte Contarine

The Porte Contarine Water Basin is the most significant monument of hydraulic engineering in Padua and was constructed in the eighteenth century, when a member of the Contarini family was podestà. It was an important point of transit for river traffic travelling from the Padua area to the Venetian lagoon.

Porta and Ponte Molino

ponte2

The Porta Molino or Porta dei Molini [Mill or Mills Gateway] was the main one of the four regales, the gateways in the medieval city walls. Facing north, it stands at the end of the Roman Ponte Molino [Mill Bridge], which crossed what was known as the Tronco Maestro [Principal Stretch] of the river Bacchiglione. The mills that gave the gateway and bridge their name were mounted on floating platforms in the water below; the last one of them survived until 1884.

Porta Savonarola

savonarola

Designed by the architect Giovanni Maria Falconetto, this city gateway was completed in 1530, the same period in which the architect was working on the Odeo Cornaro. There are clear similarities of ground plan between the two structures: the Odeo has an octagonal interior while the gateway has 4 semi-circular niches in walls rotated at 45° with respect to the axes through the structure, and an eight-segment pavilion roof.

Porta San Giovanni

porta_sangiovanni 1

Porta San Giovanni was one of the main gateways in Padua’s sixteenth-century city walls. Nowadays it is used for exhibitions, film shows or art installations – all of which, in one way, reflect the structure’s original function as a point of transit.

Porta Liviana o di Pontecorvo

porta

The ancient gateway to the south of the city was the point of entrance to the historic Antenore Neighbourhood [Contrada Antenore]. It is known both as the Porta Ponte Corvo [Pontecorvo Gateway], due to its location, and as the Porta Liviana, after Bartolemo d’Alviano, the Renaissance condottiere and strategist who, during the time of Venetian rule, designed Padua’s new city defences.

Porta Portello

Porta Portello 1

The most richly decorated and imposing of the gateways that gave access to the city, this is important both for its ornamentation – which makes it look like a veritable triumphal arch – and for the fact that it bears an inscription with the date 1118 B.C.., the year of Padua’s foundation, which local legend would attribute to Antenor.

Prato della Valle

Prato della Valle e Loggia Amulea

One of the symbols of Padua, Prato della Valle is a large monumental space with a central island laid out with trees and lawns. Known as the Isola Memmia, in honour of the podestà who commissioned the project, that island is surrounded by a canal that is decorated on both banks with lines of statues […]

San Lorenzo Bridge

ponte

This old Roman bridge ran across the Naviglio Interno [Inner City Canal], whose course was that followed by the modern-day streets of Riviera dei Ponti Romani and Riviera Tito Livio. It is the sole intact survivor of the five Roman bridges that, within the Roman city of Padua, crossed the river Medoacus (the Latin name for the Brenta).

Piazza delle Erbe

Piazza_delle_Erbe_a_Padova

Located on the south side of Palazzo della Ragione, this was the heart of the medieval city. It has had various names, all related to the goods sold here: Piazza della Biada [fodder], Piazza del Vino [wine] and Piazza delle Erbe [vegetables]. Generally, it was a place for trade in low-value produce, where along with vegetables, wheat and fodder, you could also find articles in wrought iron. Nowadays, it is home to a lively market and the setting of various local events and celebrations.