A fundamental site for religious visitors, the ‘Basilica del Santo’ is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Padua and attracts millions of pilgrims every year. An internationally renowned place of worship, it is also a monument of fundamental importance to the history of art and architecture, and is of particular significance in the history of fourteenth-century painting.
The Basilica houses frescoes by Giotto, in the Chapel of the Black Madonna, the Benediction Chapel and the Chapter Hall; by Giusto de’ Menabuoi, in the Chapel of the Blessed Luca Belludi; and by Altichiero da Zevio and Jacopo Avanzi, in the St. James Chapel. Work on this majestic structure began in 1232, a year after St. Anthony’s death, and would be concluded by 1310.
Inside, the Cappella del Santo (The Saint’s Chapel) houses the tomb containing the body of St. Anthony; the artists who worked on adorning this tomb included Tullio Lombardo, Andrea Briosco and Gianmaria Falconetto.