Church of San Bartolomeo in Tencarola

Religious buildings
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

The first mention of a church here dedicated to St. Bartholomew dates back to 1125, and a document of 1153 registers the exchange whereby the local canons ceded the church to the Abbot of the monastery at Praglia. The chapel would then be under the authority of that religious foundation until 1810, the year in which the Praglia monastery itself was suppressed. Steps lead up to a main doorway that opens into a space lit by four large windows and 26 smaller openings, all with stained glass depicting scenes from the Old and New Testament. The large windows, designed by Luciano Bartoli, recount stories from the Old Testament and from the Life of St. Bartholomew.
The presbytery and the side altar, the confessionals and the small winter chapel, all date from the years 1980-85, with work to designs by Giuseppe Mengato. Many of the furnishings are those which have been recovered since the partial demolition of the church in 1956. These include the statues of St. Anthony and of the Madonna; the images of the Stations of the Cross; the holy water basins and paintings.
The sculptures in the ambo and the altar frontal in red Verona marble are the work of Danilo Andreose, whilst the life-size Christ in wood was sculpted by Conrad Sannoner. There are fine paintings on the inside walls of the facade, above the entrance: four paintings of the seventeenth-century Veneto School surround the former altarpiece, The Martyrdom of St. Bartholomew.


Via Padova, 2, Tencarola di Selvazzano

Resta in contatto

Iscriviti per ricevere aggiornamenti sugli eventi e le attività della città di Padova.